Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Last Years of School Life

A/L days were fun. Some of the best years of my life. As is the case with any Sri Lankan male who happen to be born to at least a reasonably alright family. So little responsibilities, fed by parents, not many restrictions, a lot of free time and a distant future you shall not yet worry about. What more can you ask for? I would even call them THE BEST years (as opposed to 'some of the best' years) if not for a year that will come later, which will change my life forever.

As said before, I wasn't the top student who everyone knew where he'd end up; i.e. university degree, higher education, excellent job, get married, kids, etc etc. No I wasn't that, but neither I was the idiot. I was a very good student and deep down inside I always knew I had not much to worry about. Of course I hated studying and loved wasting time with friends. So I made friends with some of the like minded students. We were the pain-in-the-ass bunch for the teachers. We skipped classes, wasted time by hanging out in small Kadeys which were designed for the schoolboys to smoke in whites, going to the movies and the like. Of course the chick were of interest but never the priority. Come the term test time we would do the minimum and get through to get enough results to not piss off parents. You have to keep your sole source of funding happy.

There was this one trip I went on with some of the friends back in those days. Looking back I guess it changed my life a lot. There were about 10 guys and the trip was technically supposed to be an educational trip. In reality it couldn't have been further from the truth. It was supposed to be a four-day trip but we were back home in three days. Reason? We were homesick? Not at all. Rather we spent all our money on getting drunk so had no option but to come back. During that trip I strengthen my friendship with some of the friends there who would go on to become my closest. Or so I thought. Today, one is abroad in a distance land and slipped off the radar. Another is still in Sri Lanka but he too is busy married and getting on with his life. There are another three of which two are still the closest things to friends I got but the last one showed that I was mistaken all this time. Son of a bitch.

So among these things I lived a happy life in my A/L days. The exams came pretty quickly, and I got through them OK-ish. Not the greatest results, but good enough to be eligible to earn a degree. I didn't want to be bothered for another time, and come the right time I would enter one of the most prestigious universities in Sri Lanka. So yeah, the last years of my school life went well, is all I can say.

And then I liked this girl. Let's call her M. The best definition for her would be Short and Sweet. I had a brief 'crush' on her if you could call it that at all. But after a couple of months I gave up. Because I was bored, she pretty much didn't give a shit and I couldn't really be bothered. To be honest I think I didn't really want a girlfriend back then. I didn't want to be committed. So thus ended my brief love life at that stage. I did not fall for someone seriously for another three or so years. But that someone who came along changed a lot of things in my life. She came into my life like a breeze, and left it like a storm. Read about her, and me, in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment